I guess before I begin, I should lay down the ground rules. Here goes:
1. I must celebrate every day. My source material for holidays will be two websites, both with moderate reliability. The first one is National Day Calendar. They have holidays listed for every day and also every week and month. You can also register to create your own holiday there, so I guess they have taken on the role of presider over holidays. I’ll take them for their word. The other site is Days of the Year. This site is visually more pleasing but I think they have a lot of English and International holidays, so I always take their days with a grain of salt. But those will be my source for holidays – the map from which I will celebrate.
2. There are days that have multiple holidays on the same day. I will only require myself to celebrate one holiday per day. I can do more than one, but keeping it to one is ok. Somedays, you’ll just get the bonus double-header.
3. If there is a day without a holiday or a holiday I can’t really celebrate (National Kiss the Queen Day or National Pet a Great White Shark Day (I made those up)), I will celebrate either the National Week or Month Celebration. Not ideal, but a good back up plan.
4. Ok, so I don’t want to set myself up for failure and say I have to post every day. That may not be possible. However, I will celebrate every day and then post about it. At the end, there should be 365 individual posts of celebration. Just giving myself a little leeway.
5. I’ll do my best to include others in my celebration. I’m not the most outgoing person, so that may be pushing outside my comfort zone. But, it’s all for the cause. Also, if you know me and you want to share in the good fortune of my celebration, let me know. That just means that if it’s National Fudge Day and I decide to make Fudge to celebrate, I’ll share the goods with you.
That kind of covers me. I’ll keep a fancy spreadsheet to see how much this costs too. It will be interesting to see at the end.
How will I celebrate? I guess it depends on the day. For any food items I can either hunt down a particularly good specimen (who has the best Raspberry Cream Pie in RI?) or make it myself. I’m not an expert cook but I’m no stranger to the kitchen. I like the challenge of making something new. There are other holidays too that don’t involve food. I guess I’ll have to get creative there.
The countdown begins – 12 days until August 1st!